Victim recounts attack and attempted kidnapping in downtown Charleston

CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCBD) — A man accused of assaulting and trying to kidnap several women in downtown Charleston remains behind bars Tuesday after waiving his right to a bond hearing.

She’s one of three victims that reported attacks early Tuesday morning all around the battery area of downtown Charleston. The suspect, 31-year-old Willie Sturges, is accused of assaulting and trying to kidnap three women.

One of the three women who was reportedly attacked spoke to News 2 but she wished to remain unidentified.

“It was terrifying, it was absolutely terrifying,” said the victim.

The woman says she was walking her three dogs with a friend near Church Street and South Battery when she saw a man coming at her. She described the man as about six feet tall and very strong.

“The look in his eye, it was like possession of a demon. He tackles her, there was a scuffle, I go over and run in between. He sizes me up, but he doesn’t care he goes back to her. Luckily this one has her knife and isn’t scared,” said her friend.

The woman fought back; despite what she described as her attacker’s sheer determination to overtake her.

“I got away from him a little bit and I happened to have a pocketknife with me to use to protect myself and from there kind of told him off me. I told him ‘I’m not the one, wrong choice’ and from there he tried to come back at me but realized I wasn’t going to play. I wasn’t going to let him take my dogs I wasn’t going to let him take me,” said the victim.

By the time she escaped and reported the incident to police, two other women had been attacked and Sturges was in custody. The woman is encouraging others to be extra vigilant after the brazen attacks.

“How does somebody think they could grab you? Think they could take you? Especially with three dogs with me and another person. Who just takes someone, who thinks they can snatch someone off the street? Clearly, he did because he tried it a few times but yeah there’s a lot of anger there,” said the victim.

Charleston police said these were isolated incidents connected to one suspect and they believe the correct man is now behind bars. They’re emphasizing that there is no further threat to the community but its always a good idea to be aware of your surroundings and take proper safety measures.

CLICK HERE TO READ FULL ARTICLE